Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Yoga Ain't For Sissies!

Images borrowed from HERE

Since I ran for the first time in five weeks yesterday, and since I don't want to go too hard too fact, I decided today should be a bit of a "recovery" day.  I considered doing "Group Power" (weight lifting in a group to music).  The last time I did that I was sore for days, so it didn't seem like much of a recovery.  When I saw "Body Flow" on the schedule of my fitness club I thought, "Yoga, some stretches, some relaxation...that would be a fairly easy class."

WRONG!!!

Yoga ain't for sissies, lemme tell ya! 

Images borrowed from HERE

In addition to that little known fact (by anyone who has never taken a yoga class), I learned that I'm much more flexible than I thought I would be.  There were only a few moves I had to do the "option" (meaning, "If you can't contort your body into a double pretzel, the 'option' is a single twisted curly-que.").  That was mostly a product of the other thing I learned....

I have virtually NO strength in my lower back.  When I did the "Extreme Abs" class I found out I have no glutes at all, so I think my lack of muscle goes from my mid back all the way down to the top of my leg!!  It's very hard to work a muscle you just can't find!!

Images borrowed from HERE
Overall, I liked the class.  I think it's very good for balance and flexibility.  It didn't SEEM to work my core, but I'm fairly confident I'll feel it more tomorrow than I do right now.  My ankles were screaming at all the balance work, but I'll definitely go back.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out a good workout schedule.  "IF" I'm able to get back up to 6 miles, I'll be doing the 1/2 marathon training.  My weekly mileage will start ramping up, but I know I still need strength and cross training.  I'm just not sure when to schedule everything in.  Can I strength train on the days as the "shorter" runs?  Is yoga considered "cross training"?  I think these are the kinds of questions that "should" be covered in the training I'm signed up for.  CAN'T WAIT!!

Thanks for stopping in, come again soon!
:D

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are getting back into it! Have you tried the yoga for runners class at FF?! :)

    ReplyDelete

It's only a conversation if you talk back to me...