Friday, July 23, 2010

"Gonna Try Now"....

(Cue "Gonna Fly Now" music in the playlist to the right....)

I started today's run not knowing if I would finish it or not.  My right calf was pretty tight.  Strange how my left calf (the one that I had so much trouble with before) has not bothered me one bit since I started up again.   I think my right one just wants some attention!

Well, I jogged over to Turtle's house and told her she might have to go solo, but I'd see when what happened when we got started.  We started off slow...and I forgot to start the Garmin until after we'd gone about a quarter of a mile or so.  We ran close to a mile a little faster than we have been going for that distance, then did walk/run intervals with shorter walks and longer runs than we have done in the past.  We ended up going about two miles with an average overall pace of about 13.

By the time we were "done", my calf seemed to be warmed up a bit but I went ahead and rolled it out (with the foam roller). I changed into my Newtons and did some drills.  I combined the ones I learned the other night at the running form clinic put on by Fleet Feet with the ones from the Newton website.  I did some knee highs, butt kicks, donkey kicks, and skipping.  I forgot to do the knee hugs and leg swings I learned the other night and intentionally left off the jump roping (since I don't have one and air jumping just seems plain weird....although probably not anymore weird than donkey kicks!).  After that I ran for a half mile.

Interestingly enough, a little ways into my run I started focusing on cadence.  I haven't ever really paid attention to it before, but they talked about it the other night so I counted for 30 seconds.  180 steps/minute is supposed to be the idea turn-over rate.  I think my "natural" cadence is about 160.  That seems to indicate my turn over rate is a little slow.  Now, I'm not going to pretend to completely understand but I did try to increase turnover and was successful for the most part toward the end.  I did that while still attempting to keep really good running form.  What is so interesting to me is looking at my pace on the Garmin site....



Look how much smoother my pace got.  I find that very interesting.  I don't exactly know why--HA--but it has to mean something!!!  :D

I ended with a little cool down walk, and wishing I could go another five miles.  But...I'm planning to go swimming in a few hours so I don't think the added miles would be the very best thing.

So...to answer yesterday's question, I'm going to try the Newtons in earnest for a couple of weeks and see what happens.  I believe it will require more work, but I think in the long run it will be worth it.  I don't know if it's true, but I do feel faster in the Newtons.

Thanks for stopping in, come again soon!
:D

PS...If you haven't checked it out...please take a peek at my attempt at writing fiction and let me know what you think.  Part two has been posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's only a conversation if you talk back to me...