Monday, July 5, 2010

The Clouds Parted...and Sunshine Blasted From the Skies!

(no, I didn't take this picture)
After my food binge yesterday I woke up not feeling so good this morning, but I had already decided today would be the day to lace up the Sauconies and pound some pavement.  So, I did just that.  I cajoled my darling husband into joining me for a "walk" on the trails...only telling him after he agreed to go that I planned to test my running legs a bit, too.  Thankfully, he had already committed to going and didn't back out.  (He's an "off again" runner right now...I'm working on turning that into "on again".)

I'm surprised at just how nervous I was going out.  I just had no idea what to expect.  Would I be able to run?  Would I be starting completely from scratch?  Would it hurt?

My plan was to walk a mile, then (depending on how I was feeling at that point) run some.  I hadn't set any kind of goal, other than to take it VERY SLOW and not "overdo" it.  But, really--what the heck does that mean?  "Overdo" could have a variety of meanings depending on where a person is in their personal fitness.  And, I have NO idea where I'm at!!

I noticed immediately I was feeling good when I could easily walk at a 15:00 pace.  No aches, no pains.  When my Garmin chirped signaling one mile, I fired up the running legs--and they responded perfectly!!  Deciding to remember my "go slow" goal, I did some slow intervals the next two miles (3/2, 3/1, 3/2 2/2, 3/2, 3/1---plus or minus) When I got to the three mile mark, I had a quick 30 second "sprint".  I didn't just burn up the trail, but I just wanted to see how it would feel...and....all I can say is (press the play button)



Wow.  It felt GREAT.  It was slow.  It was only 3.41 miles.  But, there wasn't even one point in time in the whole thing I felt like I was pushing myself....and there wasn't one point in time in the whole thing I hurt.  I had a little grumble from a couple of spots...but they weren't "complaints", it was more like a forceful sigh!!  After I finished the loop, I really wanted to do it again!!  It's going to take a lot for me to slowly increase.  But...I can do it.  I can go slow.  I know I can.


I found a great blog post today titled, "I Run".  Yup, that about sums it up. 

Thanks for stopping in, come again soon!
:D

2 comments:

  1. I like the "hallelujah", I had to play it multiple times....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just keep on inspiring. I'm going to start back running too. It's been about 3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete

It's only a conversation if you talk back to me...