Sunday, July 11, 2010

Saving on the Run

I went out of town this weekend to my friend's house.  If you've been following me for a while, you might remember me talking about my friend who lives in the country...the first time I trained on HILLS!

I planned on doing 3/1 walk/run intervals.  But....just into my first interval, I saw this poor creature:
You can't tell, but it was about 5 inches long!!  It was the biggest caterpillar I've ever seen in my life!!  If you notice, it's on it's side.  I was so scared it was dead.  Scared because I can only imagine the butterfly this thing would make!!  Well, I had to do something....so, after I poked it a little with a long stick (hey, I don't know if those things bite!)...and found out it wasn't dead because it moved a little...I got a big piece of bark and gently moved it over to some grass.  I don't know if it was going to recover from the apparent coma it was in...but at least the move would give it the best chance in life--only to be given over to the beautification of the world by morphing out of it's crawling body into a winged one.

After that minor delay...I started running again.  I heard the bleet of a billy goat and looked over to see not one, but TWO goats caught in a fence.  They had apparently been trying to eat the tiny bit of green weeds just outside of their acres upon acres of "pasture"...and couldn't get their horns back through when they were done.  I was brave enough to walk up to it, but not quite brave enough to attempt to free it from it's prison.  Hey, if I was afraid a caterpillar would bite (and I was), did you really think I would try to touch a GOAT??!!  NOT.  So I called my friend to find out who owns them...and she wasn't sure.  So I turned around and ran back up the hill I just ran down to the closest house I could find.  That particular farmer wasn't the owner, but came out to help anyway.  And...I found out that goats do indeed bite--but not the hard way, just word of mouth from the farmer! 

After the second good deed of the day, I got to start my run in earnest....but by then it was absolutely sweltering and I was sweating buckets!!  In all, I ran and walked about three miles.  When I checked my splits from last time, the average pace was almost EXACTLY the same!  Since it was literally freezing last time, I think these results are fairly decent.


I really hope the caterpillar lived. 

I'm going to believe it did.

Thanks for stopping in, come again soon!
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's only a conversation if you talk back to me...