Sunday, July 25, 2010

It's a Duck, It's a Fish...It's Swimming Dana!!

Thanks to a friend in need of a swimming partner, I FINALLY went out to the local lap pool and ...didn't drown!  Thankfully before we got there she gave me a run down of how far she's come since she had her first lap-swimming experience.   Honestly, I don't know if she really TOLD me what I heard or if I imagined it just to make myself feel better!!  But, whatever the case may be I
  1. had a great time
  2. had a great workout
  3. have CONSIDERABLE room for improvement!
I wasn't even able to swim 25 yards without having to take a break!  I don't have any idea how many laps I actually ended up doing.  But I'm certainly going back for more.

As usual, I have to buy some gear!!  I "need" a bathing suit (a "real" swimmer's suit, not a lay-around-the-pool-to-get-a-tan" kind of suit), a swim cap, goggles, and, eventually, a kick board.

I have to say, I was SHOCKED at the cardio work out I got, even not being able to swim very far without stopping.  I guess it's just like running....I didn't start out being able to run a mile, even a quarter mile without stopping.  But I did build up distance and speed.  I'm sure I'll eventually be able to go much farther than I can even imagine going right now.  All I have to do is TRAIN!

The hardest part?  Taking a gulp of air without also taking in a big gulp of water!
((Uh...NO, that is obviously NOT me.))
Next year, I'm going to do the HiWAAY Sprint Tri--run 3 miles, bike 6, then swim 400 meters. Heck, maybe by then I'll do the Olympic distance Rocketman Tri (1.5-km swim / 40-km bike / 10-k run).....or maybe I won't do that!! 


Thanks for stopping in, come again soon!
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's only a conversation if you talk back to me...