Friday, September 17, 2010

Exercise in Will

This morning I woke up feeling AWFUL!  My head is pounding.  Every joint in my body feels like it's surrounded with fluid.  My throat hurts.  I'm drained.   (I ate a food that's on my "no-no" -allergy- list yesterday...this kind of feeling "always" follows eating that food.  Maybe I'll remember that the next time I want to eat it.)

Today is my "long run" which should be 8-10 miles (probably 8 since I'm running my first half next Saturday!!!!).  I don't feel like doing it.  I want to crawl in bed and pull the covers over my head.

....I already have my running clothes on.  I will go.  I will do it.

Run Like a Mother had an post yesterday about a (very) pregnant blogger who has what I think is a very interesting way to "chunk up" a long run.  Basically instead of telling herself she has to run 20 miles, she just says she's got to run 5.  She runs five miles out...rests a minute...then tells her self she's got to run 5 miles...runs back....gets to her car and tells herself she thinks she'll go for a 5 mile run today and goes 5 miles in a different direction...rests and tells herself she wants to run 5 miles....runs back.   Twenty miles down, 3 very short rest stops.  If I were running alone, I would try that today in 2 mile chunks.  I could easily run TWO miles. 

Thankfully I have another motivator today-I'm meeting Daisy and Warrior on the trails.  I really like both of them and would hate to miss the opportunity to hang out with them.  Not only that, I KNOW I'll feel better when it's done.

"See you in another life, brotha'."   .....

2 comments:

  1. I saw that RLAM post and thought it was a great idea. Actually I finally conquered my treadmill when I accidently pulled out the safety cord. Startign to run w/ a clean slate made it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent strategy! i have done that a few times, only its more like 2 mile runs. from one water stop to the next.

    it also works wonders for those needing to lose a lot of weight.

    JunieB

    ReplyDelete

It's only a conversation if you talk back to me...