Monday, August 23, 2010

What A Day to Forget the Garmin...

Daisy and I had plans to meet up for a 3.(something) on the trails this morning.  I almost bailed at the last the last minute because my leg was NOT happy to be going out again today after yesterday.  I didn't feel good.  I was tired.  I was an emotional mess for a number of reasons.  I feel bad enough not being able to carry on conversation....but combine that with having to tell someone, "Okay, I'm a weenie, I have to walk now--OVER AND OVER," and it makes for a real confidence crusher that I just didn't think I could handle today on top of everything else (see above for the list of "everything else").

But, I told her I would be there so I didn't want to back out for such a pathetic list of excuses....and more than that,  I really like being around her.  She has NEVER once made me feel bad for any of my wimp-outs.  She knows what she's getting into, and, for whatever reason, she keeps asking me if I want to run with her.  So I try to keep that in mind and stop beating myself up.

I realized when I got there that I had left my Garmin at home.  I have almost NEVER run without it...but today I was glad there wouldn't be a record of what I knew would be a pathetic attempt at running.

I told Daisy when we started out I wasn't too sure what was going to happen because my legs were not feeling too hot.   (Cough....excuse....cough)  We got to talking and I launched into the story about the food allergy testing (between huffs and puffs).  (It has GOT to be hard to listen to a story where every few words are punctuated with breath.)  Anyway, I knew I had gone further than a mile and I knew I had managed to keep running up some of the "incline" section....but I really wasn't paying attention.  I told her I needed to walk a little bit, which we did (maybe a minute, maybe a little longer???).

We started up again and I was feeling great...thinking surely we had gone a couple of miles (yes, I am THAT oblivious to where I am at any given moment in time-it's bad, I know).  About the time I was wondering where exactly on the route we were, she told me we were almost at the pavement!!  (If you read about our first run together, it was the section she screamed at me to SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP AND STOP ASKING FOR STINKING WALK BREAKS YOU BIG WIMP--not really, that's what I screamed at was when she very sweetly told me there was only SIX minutes left.)

REALLY???  I had made it that far with only one walk break that I probably really didn't "need"??  Well, I hate to admit it, but I was dreading that last six minutes.  It's HARD.  (Can you hear the whine in my words??)  Last time I kept thinking it was the longest six minutes I had ever run.  But, before I even knew it, we were at the last little up hill section---and I FELT GREAT.  GREAT I tell you.  I honestly felt like I could do the whole thing again.  I kicked it in the last 25-30 feet (maybe?) and pushed in a little farther than I did before!!

I didn't even have to play the "just run to that tree...just to that sign...just to the fence" game with myself!!

What a FANTASTIC RUN!!  And....then it hit me--I didn't have my stinking Garmin!!  What a day to forget it.  Now there would be no record of one of the best runs I've had in a while!  I don't have any idea what kind of pace we were keeping.  Daisy said she thought it was considerably faster than the last time we did that trail.  I do know that last time I probably walked maybe five times, and I felt like I was going to die at the end.  Today, however, I only walked ONCE, and (like I said but I still can't believe) I felt really amazing at the end!!!

It's a good thing because I have a 1.5 mile run with NOBO tonight.  I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Thanks for stopping in, come again soon!

1 comment:

  1. You just keep getting better and better! YAYAYAYAY!!!


Don't hold back, tell it like it is....