Saturday, March 13, 2010

Week 2 Recap

WHAT I DID

Well, I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but I've been "gone" this week.  My (inside-only, fully declawed) cat decided to take a vacation (read about that here...and be sure to read the following two posts as well as they're related).  Not only was I heart broken, but I've been having a hard time this week (more about that later).

Never the less...Tuesday night, despite the rainy weather and my heavy heart, I went to my running group.  They said we did 3.1 miles, but I only logged 2.88 on my Garmin.  They might have added in the warm up jog over to where we stretch, but I didn't count that.  I ran 30 and walked 5, but my longest running interval was 7:30.  It was the first one.  However, my average pace was 12 minutes.  I don't think that's too bad. 

Thursday I managed to force myself out the door for 2 miles.  I was feeling really bad about it because I didn't feel like I did very well...until I looked at the stats from the run.  Even though my longest interval was only 4 minutes (the first one), I did run 19.5 total (walked 6).  The best part was that my average pace was 11:45. 

Friday a friend invited me for a "little walk"...we went geocaching and ended up walking about 4 miles!

This morning when I woke up it was raining outside and 43 degrees.  I argued with myself all the way to the park to meet up with my group.  When I got there I asked someone, "is it wrong that I still haven't decided if I'm going to run?"  Suffice it to say, I wasn't "behaving in accordance with a decision I had already made"...but I did it.  In the wind and cold rain I ran 3.5 miles with an average pace of 12:04.  After the second running interval for me (which was the longest at 7 minutes), I ran with the run/walk group and stuck with the intervals the plan called for (5/1).  I ran a total of 36.5 and walked 5.5.

WHAT I LEARNED

It's almost embarrassing to keep repeating myself...but again:

1) It's imperative to STICK WITH THE PLAN.  I've been trying to walk less so I don't usually walk the full time called for thinking I should be running more.  I talked to one of the coaches this morning and she told me to ...

2) Slow down in the beginning of my runs....and make sure I'm walking the full interval at a slower speed.  She said most likely the biggest issue I'm dealing with is a simple matter of conditioning.   She also said to...

3) Pick up my knees when I run.  (She didn't specifically tell me that, but she was talking to someone else.)  She said when you're tired you can have a tendency to shuffle along and that takes more energy and is harder than picking up your knees.  I tried it when I started getting tired; it really did make a difference!!  

4) Another runner was saying to concentrate on my arms....bring my elbows back, and make sure to keep them moving forward and back....  I don't think I can explain it in words very well, but it worked.

5) AGAIN...feelings lie.  I really felt like I had completely sucked during all four runs this week, but they really were not that bad when I looked at the numbers. 

WHAT I'M GOING TO DO 

KEEP RUNNING.  STICK WITH THE PLAN.  
Also, I plan to start cross training next week.  I didn't do it this week, and honestly since next week is spring break and my daughter will be home....I don't know if I'll really do it this week..but I'm going to plan on it anyway.
***My left calf is still bothering me a little, but I've decided it's just sore.  I didn't go back to Spine Care because I think it's something that will work itself out over time and I've got some stretches to do at home.  It "always" seems better at the end of the run so I don't think it's an injury...I just have to "woman up" and realize I'm no spring chicken anymore and little aches and pains mean I'm working!!
Also....my cat did come home from his little vacation, safe and sound!!
Thanks for stopping in, come again soon!

:D

1 comment:

  1. Call Out To Jesus is playing and oh how it touches me...I think of my situation, yours and how He has a plan. You have encouraged me to cross train this week. I hope you'll share in detail what type of cross training you'll be doing. I'll do free weights and alternate that with running days. Is that cross training, lol? I'll read up on cross training and make sure I do it right. Love ya!!! (((hugs))) because I know you're still hurting.

    ReplyDelete

It's only a conversation if you talk back to me...