Wednesday, March 3, 2010

New Ways...

WHAT I DID

I started my "new way of eating" yesterday.  We aren't calling it a "diet" because the idea is that it will become the way we eat from now on.  I don't remember if I've talked much about it here...but I read a blog the other day that really got me to thinking (I'd link it if I could remember where I saw it...).  The writer talked about being on the Zone diet and how when she eats a lot of junk food she gets a "food hangover".  Many of the commenters have had the same experience.   A food hangover is not something I've ever had...but it sounds very interesting.

By that I mean I know how horrible an alcohol hangover feels...I have come to understand what drinking does to my body and why over indulgence causes me to feel so bad.  So, if the same can be true about food, that means there is a state of health that is superior to the one I'm currently in.  

Does that make sense?  

I know the food I eat is not just complete junk, but I also know I don't eat well.  If there is a way of eating that will result in feeling bad when I'm eating unhealthy foods--I WANT IT!!  That very idea is exactly why I don't drink very much anymore...because I can not stand the way a hangover feels.  It's just not worth it to me.  I want to get that same mentality about food!

WHAT I LEARNED

The funny thing is....my husband and I both ate considerably more food (in volume) than we usually eat in the course of a day.  But, there's a HUGE nutritional difference.  For instance, his usual breakfast is a sausage biscuit and two hash browns.  There's 720 calories, 46 grams of fat, 14 grams of protein, and 64 carbs in that fairly small amount of food.  This morning's breakfast was two and a fourth egg white and cheese burritos** and 27 grapes for a total of 475 calories, 15 grams of fat, 43 grams of protein and 42 carbs.  The "plan" calls for basically eating all day (three meals and two snacks), but no one meal is over 500 calories, and snacks are about 200 calories each.

**That's two and a fourth burritos, not 2 1/4 egg whites....just wanted to be clear there.  

Did you know all the FLAVOR of an egg is in the YOLK??  (But so is the fat...so maybe there's a spice I can add to that burrito?)  :D 

  
WHAT I'M GOING TO DO

As I always say...STICK WITH THE PLAN!!!  We're committed to doing this for three weeks before we evaluate if it's something we really want do.  The down side is, it's a lot of food which means the grocery bill was a bit higher.  But, at the same time, there were quite a few "staples" that I didn't have, so I don't think it will be as high next week.  Not to mention....what's health worth??

Thanks for stopping in....

What's that??  OH, you want to hear about my RUNNING???!  Sure, I can tell you about that, too.

:D
  
WHAT I DID

I ran 2.5 miles with my group--well, with the larger group...I think someone messed up and put me with a sub-set that's faster than I currently am, so I was mostly with the slower moving group.  I haven't uploaded my time yet, but I ran most of it, and I WASN'T LAST.   Now, I'm not knocking whoever it was last, because he/she was out there just like I was....but, my semi-competitive nature just won't allow me to be last, even though my body won't allow me to be first!!  

WHAT I LEARNED

Pain from an injury continues to ramp up, while pain from soreness will get better during a run.  I've been (mostly) experiencing pain from soreness.  I say that because (usually) I feel better at the end of my run than I do within the first few minutes.

Also, I am a BIG TIME whiney winnie butt!!  When I'm by myself I hyper focus on what my body is doing and I want any pain to STOP.  I'm a very "in-the-moment" kind of gal so I don't usually stop to think that in 2 miles I'll be feeling much better so it would be better to keep on going.  Running with the group really helped with that because I "had to" push through the aweful part.  

One coach and I were talking during the last 1/4 mile.  I was saying that at that point I really felt like I could go another couple of miles.  She said that I might just have to resign myself to the fact that the first two miles are going to suck! 
WHAT I'M GOING TO DO

The thing I have to keep firmly in my mind is that usually by the time that second mile is over, I'm feeling pretty good.

AGAIN...STICK WITH THE PLAN.

I'm also considering going over to Spine Care for a consultaion.  They were there last night talking to us about stretching.  ...Being a former insurance adjuster, I've never been too "up" on chiropractors...but, at the same time, I've dealt with a lot of people who seem to get a huge benefit from them.  I talked to the "dr" last night about my calves and she explained to me what was going on (which I understood, and it made sense, and fell completely in line with everything I thought, and everything I know to be true....and it's not something I can really explain in an intelligent way!).

Because I've had so many problems, she suggested (naturally) that I come in for a free consultation.  We'll see.

The schedule for today is cross train or rest.  I'm most likely going to opt for rest!!  The next group run is three miles, Saturday morning at 7 am.  It's in a park that I love...the weather is supposed to be perfect.  I can NOT wait!

Thanks for stopping in, come again soon!
:D 

By the way, thank you all for your encouragement.  It really does mean a lot to me.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, love to hear about the food thing. My sister-in-law was trying a new diet not for weightloss reasons, but to help her feel more sharp mentally. Her diet reminds me a lot of Daniel's diet in the Old Testament. She has lost about 25 pound and looks amazing. She also says she feels so sharp in her mind. (And we've had a few family meals together where she has eaten "badly" for the day and says she feels like crap the next day...food hangover? Maybe!)

    Thanks for also including the running update! Ha! As always, I love reading your log of all this! You're doing so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're doing some really hard, intense work here, Dana! Nice job!! That diet sounds interesting, I look forward to hearing how you like it! I've always wanted to do those group runs, my sister swears by them and says she'd never be motivated to run without them. I'm glad you held your own!!

    Keep up the good work, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to hearing how you feel on this way of eating, as well as how easy/not easy it is to stick to. I think Zone is a healthy way to go, though I had trouble with it when I tried it. Years later, I might actually like it. One plan that seems really healthy and balanced is the South Beach Diet (not really a diet though either). It's similar to zone, but focuses on the glycemic index of foods and such. Anyway, good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing great with your running despite pain. You rock!! I'm going to opt for a rest day today. I ran 2.33 miles yesterday and am fighting a sore throat. I look forward to hearing more about this new way of eating.

    ReplyDelete

It's only a conversation if you talk back to me...