Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Expectations

When I signed up to do the 70.3 in Memphis I compared the elevation gain on the bike course (total of 1696) to that of the 70.3 in Chattanooga (2218) and compared the elevation profiles...



I concluded Memphis really didn't look very difficult compared to Chatty. 

Now, let me be clear...the 70.3 course at Chatty is not easy, but the worst part is the big climb at Andrews. You come down a little hill and then make a sharp left hand turn and IMMEDIATELY go up the biggest climb on the course. But the rest of the course is NICE. It's "rolling". That's how the course at Memphis was described..."rolling".

I expected to love the Memphis course like I love the full bike course in Chattanooga (it's SO much better than the course at the 70.3 because the full course doesn't have that one big climb in it).

My expectations were NOT met.

The rolling hills on the courses at Chattanooga are glorious! You get to gain power and speed when you go down that carries you up the next little incline up. The road isn't super smooth, but it's not terrible.

The "rolling" hills in Memphis aren't really rolling...they are UP and ...slightly down...then flattish then UP again. A good part of the course is chip-seal road which is jaw-jarring rough.

AND...the course at Memphis is BEAUTIFUL!!! I mean TRULY BEAUTIFUL. There were NO major climbs and one nearly perfect downhill section-at least for me. I am a nervous descender. I don't like steep downhill sections, even if they are straight. The one fairly long downhill section on the Memphis course was just curvy enough to make it interesting but not curvy enough to make it scary. I only got up to 36 but by that point I was also pretty tired!

This brings me to the run course...Chattanooga 70.3 has 820 feet of gain whereas Memphis has a measly 470. 


I expected it to be mostly flat. 

My expectations were NOT met.

I was shocked at how "hilly" it really was. There were no big climbs. There wasn't anything that was just awful...but the ups were just relentless. And it seemed like every incline was in full sun!

But, once again, the course was BEAUTIFUL!!! I mean TRULY BEAUTIFUL! And I think one of the most spectator-friendly courses out there! 

I will write up a full race recap later...for now, I can't tell you how much I LOVED the beauty of the bike and run courses. They were (are) ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!

And "hilly". Nothing horrible...no big climbs...but relentless!

Thanks for stopping in and sticking around!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's only a conversation if you talk back to me...