Monday, May 10, 2010

Week 9 & 10 Recaps

WHAT I DID

WEEK 9--Monday-Body Pump.  Tuesday I ran with my group.  It was horribly painful.  Thankfully I had a coach who ran with me or I know I wouldn't have made it.  I ran a little bit faster, but ended up at the end having to walk some.  I was in pain the rest of the week so I "worked on" recovery.  Then, Saturday I ran the SteepleChase 8k.  

WEEK 10--Monday I had to get blood work done so I just "ran" on the elliptical for 30 minutes.  Tuesday I knew I wasn't going to be able to meet up with my running group so I went out that morning to run on the mountain we did the hill repeats the other week.  I felt a little sore, and VERY tired, but I decided running would be a good way to get past that.  WRONG.  I was supposed to do 4.5 miles, I made it (not on the hill, just on the more flat part of the road) just over 2 miles, including my warm up and cool down.  I ended up limping the whole time, and I felt like I was moving through molasses.  I decided to "listen to my body" and just rest for the day and tried to regroup the next day.  Wednesday I went back to Body Pump.  It was horrible.  I tried to push past feeling so weak and tired, but after it was over, I barely made it home without falling asleep at the wheel!!  I came home and collapsed on the bed.  Friday I pretty much stayed in bed or on the couch all day long.  Saturday was the only redeeming day of the whole week.  (Yes, I did do something Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday...and what I did would have "counted" in January.  In fact I would have been tickled to death in January with those days---but I'm not happy with my performance now.)  I got up early and went with my darling husband to run on a beautiful hiking trail.  I'm going to write up a whole post about it later on.  I'm not happy with how little I ran, or how much I "had to" walk, but it was a fantastic run if I shut off my internal critic!!  After the mountain run, I went out and cheered my buddies on in their second 10K--they did GREAT.

WHAT I LEARNED

I think now that the week is over, I might have gotten a little too hot at the race...and I might have overdone it just a little bit.  It didn't seem like it at the time, but that's the only thing I can think of that would have made me feel so incredibly bad all week.  (It wasn't hormonal, that should have been the week before....but who knows.)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE running with my husband.  He was a running beast back in the day.  He had a couple of injuries that set him back, and he's been out of running for many years so I can almost keep up with him for a few minutes!!  I would just love it if he would slow his pace down to my speed and train with me.  I'm doing my best to talk him into it because Saturday's run was probably the best one ever.  Like I said earlier, I'll devote a whole post to it later on.

I LOVE running trails.  My husband has told me since before I started that he knew I would, and I do.  I loved everything about it.  It was unbelievably peaceful.  I was worried I would trip, or twist an ankle, but surprisingly, I didn't!

I love running with my husband!!

This running thing will not be something that will continually move forward every single week.  I feel like I had a major set back this week, but the truth is I'm still running and I want to keep on running, so it wasn't a bad week after all.  I'm going back to the doctor after the Cotton Row 10K (which might be a mistake to wait, but that's the plan I'm sticking with right now)...and then after that I'm going to have to re-evaluate my plan to train for the marathon in December.  It's frustrating, but I'm learning that I might just have to slow down the plan.  I am NOT happy about it.

Did I mention ... I LOVE running with my husband???

WHAT I'M GOING TO DO

I'm going back to the doctor after Memorial Day (after the 10K).  In the mean time I'm just going to take it easy and realize this 10K might just SUCK.
I'm going to keep trying to beg my husband to run with me.

I'm going to incorporate more trail running into my plan.

I'm going to keep using the TriggerPoint massage thingy.

I'm going to rest when I think I need to rest.

I'm going to keep strength training.

FOOD

I'm going back to a 30-40-30 plan (zone) because I really do think I had more energy with that ratio of food.  I'm going to stick to less processed food, more fresh fruits and veggies and more fish.  
I'm considering going to a DO to have allergy and hormone tests done.  I've read so much lately about gluten intolerance and what it does to hormone levels, I think it's worth checking into anyway.
Thanks for stopping in, come again soon!
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's only a conversation if you talk back to me...