Sunday, May 23, 2010

Week 11 & 12 Recaps


Week 11-total miles 14.5.   I did a couple of trail "runs" by myself, at a slow pace, and I did a Cotton Row training run (at a very respectable pace).

Week 12-total miles 11.  Other than the Week Five when I had to lay completely off this was my worst training week.  I walked Monday's miles start to finish and made an appointment for an MRI when it was over.  Tuesday with my group, I started out limping, but I tried very hard to just push through the pain.  It didn't work.  It really HURT to keep trying to run....which I stubbornly did the whole 4.5 miles, with very little success.  Thursday I tried to do a 3 mile trail run.  Although my average pace was 15 (yes, that's basically fast walking), I did manage to get a good little sprint in at the end, which felt great.  But, Saturday when I was supposed to be doing 5 miles with my group, I was anxiously awaiting the results of my MRI.


Since I go to church with my doctor, I got my MRI results today--I'll make a whole separate post on that, but suffice it to say I learned that putting off recovery from an injury doesn't really get you anywhere good.

I also learned there is a difference between just "taking it easy" and "rest".  Taking it easy means not going full throttle with training (this is pretty much what I've done the last 8 weeks).  Rest, on the other hand, means do NOT run. 


As much as I hate to...I'm going to rest my leg for a minimum of six weeks.  I want it to get better.  So, I'm going to consider taking up swimming and/or biking.  Maybe I can train for the HiWAAY Huntsville Sprint Tritahlon (minus the running of course)?  The only down side--I don't own a bike.  But, since biking and swimming are both good, maybe I can convince my husband that the bike is a necessary therapy aide?? ((Honey, just think of what it will do for my legs!)) 


I haven't been following any certain "way of eating", I've just been watching what I eat, and trying to eat organic as much as possible (little or no processed food, and "no" high fructose corn syrup).  This morning, I was down a few pounds, but I don't expect that to stick.  It's been like that all year, down a few, back up to base-line.  The good news is I haven't gained!!    I go to the doctor tomorrow to have a full allergy panel done.  It's going to take about 3 weeks for the results to get back, but I completely expect to find out I'm "intolerant" of several foods I eat regularly.  I'm excited to find out because I'm very hopeful that eliminating those foods will 1) allow me to eventually get off thyroid medications,  2) help me lose weight, and 3) allow me to sleep and feel better overall.

Thanks for stopping in, come again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hold back, tell it like it is....