Tuesday, December 20, 2011

To Recovery and Beyond!!

      (this is the musical symbol for a "whole rest")

Two days after the marathon I ran a couple of mile on the trails...and felt FANTASTIC!!  I had to make myself stop after two because I kept hearing everyone I know telling me I needed to recover.  The thing I believe to be true (from everything I've read) is that lack of muscle soreness is NOT a good indicator of muscular healing (roughly quoted from an article from McMillan Running, but I've read this same kind of thing in several places).  I didn't want my desire to get back to running override my body's desire to rest and heal....so I let two miles be enough.  Two days later the weather was simply DIVINE (like 72 degress!!) so I decided to take my bike out for a spin.

Remember Doug, from the Long Course Training Camp, let me borrow his aero bars?  Well, even though I had them put on my bike a couple of months ago, I haven't been on it since Frantic Frog in September.  So many people told me I would be wobbly and feel like I was unstable I was slightly nervous to ride with them....but WOW, I LOVE THEM!!  I planned to ride an hour and (again) I had to MAKE myself stop after that amount of time.  My sit bones were probably grateful but boy did I want to keep going!!

Since that ride (a week ago tomorrow)...I have not worked out even one single time!!  This is the longest I've gone without doing some form of work out in almost two years!  I didn't intend to take off this long but I think it's been a good rest for me....and I'm ready to get back into the swing of things.  I'm planning to run in the morning and maybe spin tomorrow afternoon (if I can con my way into the Y one more time this year--I've already used up all my "visits" but maybe I can sweet talk someone into just one more).  It's my intention to ease back into swimming next week.  I'm going to be taking it fairly easy for another couple of weeks, then I'll start my training plan for the half iron I'm doing in April.


To recovery and beyond!!  (Sound familiar?)

Thanks for stopping in!  Come again soon!
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's only a conversation if you talk back to me...