Monday, December 5, 2011

Taper Tantrums

I think I can feel the "taper tantrums" coming on.  You know when children are about to go into full blown melt down?  You can hear it in their voices, see it in their faces.  No matter what you do, it's coming faster than a crude one-liner in one of the hundred and thirty seven American Pie movies.

I went out for my three mile easy run today...I could hardly believe that was all I was doing.  It was like giving a starving man a morsel of bread.  All that little joglet did was whet my appetite and make me want more.  I had to keep reminding myself it was supposed to be EASY.  I breathed through my nose the whole time to make sure I wasn't picking up the pace.

The really good news is my body is actually starting to feel better.  Okay...that's the ticket...focus on the positive.  Don't focus on the fact I feel more uptight than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs (nod to my dad there).  Don't focus on the fact I have more fears swimming in my head than jelly fish in the ocean (maybe not that many).  Don't focus on the fact I have NO IDEA if I'm going to really be able to run the full 26.2, much less in the time I want to run it in (even my C goal)...I have only gone 20.22...and the other day there was a group of people talking at the packet stuffing about how mile 23 is the WORST MILE of the WHOLE RACE.  Really???  Did you have to tell me that??  That's like the person who came up to a pregnant woman telling her all the horrors that can happen during childbirth.  Don't focus on the fact Weather.com is now saying it's supposed to be a low of 26 and a high of 44...  TWENTY SIX.  Winds are supposed to be 9mph.

Okay...stop.  Just stop.  Really stop.

Looking ahead, I don't know what is on the plan the rest of the week.  I have been diligent in listening to my coaches.  I think that's key in training, coming in second to "pick a coach you can trust"!! :D  In my case I picked a program I could trust, the 26.2 training program from Fleet Feet.

...I don't think I've ever felt like this before.  I'm currently self-exiled to my bedroom since I've been told I'm cranky more times in the last 24 hours than I have in the last three months (or more).  I'm trying to get my heart right, but so far it's not really working.

I haven't had HIGH mileage through this training program (not nearly as high as I expected to have), but the mileage I have had been running as been SEVERELY cut back so I can't help but think that's what's causing this antsiness...

Or maybe it's just good old PMS.  Who knows since they are both happening at the same time.

How about that for something to worry about??  For all my female readers...I came across an encouraging article about this very subject today.  (NOT taper tantrums...)

Enough said about that...and enough said for now.

Thanks for stopping in.  Come again soon.  :D


2 comments:

It's only a conversation if you talk back to me...