Sunday, November 21, 2010

Running for Donuts??

Notice the reflective details; I guess they work!
I ran an interesting race yesterday...called the Krispy Kreme Challenge. In order to "complete" the challenge you must run two miles, eat a DOZEN donuts, then run two miles back, in under an hour.

Yes, I said eat a DOZEN donuts!

No, I did not complete the challenge. Honestly, if I weren't allergic to several things in donuts (including the 2,400 calories and 144 grams of fat), I might actually try to do it. Hey, what can I say-it's a "challenge" that sounds doable. But, allergies have saved me from myself this time!

So, you might be asking why on Earth I would enter this race if I knew on the front end I wouldn't be a "completer". My neighbor wanted to register her kids, but she was going to be out of town. So I said I would run with them. Other than the fact we walked pretty much all of the two miles to the finish, it was a pretty good little race. (Turns out running on a stomach containing ONE donut, carrying a box of 11 uneaten ones, is hard for a 10 year old! (Yes, if you don't eat them, you can carry the box back with you...but you don't get a finisher's medal.)

There were a few guys (like two or three) who had combined this race with another one called the Dizzy Fifties. They went out and ran about 6 miles on the trails, then drove over to the KK Challenge, COMPLETED IT, then drove back over to the trails to finish the first race. Their main rule-you have to, uh... keep the donuts in your stomach the whole time! I think they call it the "Dizzy Donut".

Yeah...I WOULD do it, but see, I have allergies. So, even if--no, WHEN....even WHEN I get to the point in my training where I can run 50 miles, I won't be able to complete the Dizzy Donut.

Ah, shucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's only a conversation if you talk back to me...