Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hood to Coast--Little Did I Know

I remember the first time I heard about the Hood to Coast race.  I thought it was some kind of cross country thing (like literally across the country-from the Hood (NYC) to the coast (LA)).  Don't ask me why, I have no idea.  That's just what came to mind when I heard about it.  Little did I know I would soon become well acquainted with the race.

Then, quite some time later, I was listening to The Marathon Show as the host, Joe Taricani, interviewed the director of the Hood To Coast movie.  I knew right then an there I would eventually run the race.  Little did I know just a short week after the movie premiere I would be forming a Hood to Coast team!!

Let me back up just a bit.  When I heard the movie was going to play at a local theater, I bought my ticket.  Even though it snowed a few days before the show (making roads icey enough most locals didn't want to leave their houses) my running buddy/neighbor/friend, Turtle, being from Ohio, agreed to drive us to the single-night showing.  As we watched, I could feel her excitement for the race surpassing my own.  When I told her I "planned" on running the race "one day" she quickly told me she was in.  Little did I know she was a make-it-happen kind of gal.  Within 24 hours, the event became much more than just a race.

I thought the only way to enter the race was by sending in a registration a year in advance and then hoping to be picked for the lottery.  Little did I know, there is also a guaranteed way to be entered into this race as a first-time team...by raising $15,000 for American Cancer Society.  (The money is raised a year before the actual race.)  Turtle, being the visionary I have come to realize she is, decided this goal was certainly achievable, if we could come up with a team.  Little did she know, I knew THAT was something I could certainly make happen.  In less than a week...we had a joined with twelve other Huntsville women as passionate about fighting cancer as they are about running (we have a team of 12 plus two alternates).

There have been a couple of changes, but this is most of the team...

We are:

In the next year and a half you'll hear quite a bit more about the team, the race, and my training.  In the mean time, check out our team blog, Journey to the Hood, read about who we are and who we're running for.  While you're at it...why not go ahead and MAKE A DONATION to American Cancer Society or even join our team (in our efforts to fight cancer, not to run the race-we had to cap that at 12!).

Thanks for stopping in, come again soon!
:D

1 comment:

It's only a conversation if you talk back to me...